Sunday, June 13, 2010

God Lives at the Beach


I know this is going up before the Rome post, but it just seemed appropriate after this weekend. Nice and the surrounding area had by far the best looking beaches I've ever been to. I wrote part of this last August in Perdido Key, FL, and finished it this spring. I've been waiting for the right time to post it. After this weekend, this seems like the right time.



GOD LIVES AT THE BEACH
by Bradford Smith


The early morning sun
Rises slowly in the east.
The Waves crashing on the sand,
Wash away footprints from my feet.

A dog is barking happily,
As he sprints into the water.
An old man takes his morning walk
Hand in hand with his granddaughter.

And every time I'm here,
It's like my soul is born again.
The ocean greets me with a smile,
Asking "How've you been, my friend?"

The troubles that I thought I had,
Seem so far now out of reach.
They melt away as my feet hit sand
When I meet God at the beach.

The ocean's just like God, you know.
It's steady as can be.
And when it feels so very far away,
It says, "It's you that left, not me."

"I'm always here, rain or shine,
Come any time and visit,
You can sit right there, just as long as you'd like
Or only stay a minute."

And though it's always the same old thing
It always feels so new.
Moon and stars give way to light.
And the sun paints the water blue.

The waves and sand have seen so much,
Imagine what they could teach.
I hear so much, yet there are no words.
When I meet with God at the beach.

As the life all around me starts over again,
I'm amazed this happens each day.
I sit there in awe at the simple complexity,
Knowing everything is always okay.

Though I never am here as I much I'd like,
I know it's right there waiting for me.
And I'm welcomed back like I never did leave,

When I meet with God at the beach.

2 comments: